[SI-LIST] Re: Xilinx decoupling

  • From: "Martin Euredjian" <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <boris.traa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 02:26:26 -0800

> BTW pins or balls that internally already are connected
> may be combined to the same power plane and as such only
> will need one capacitor

I guess there are two considerations when it comes to this issue of
decouplers:

1) What's the charge transfer capability required based on what needs to be
driven.  This takes into account rise time, number of simultaneous outputs,
etc.

2) What is the interface through which we can attempt to deliver this
charge.  That's to say the balls, pins, leads and overall package as well as
the PCB.

#1 has had extensive discussions on this list.  There are a couple of
different approaches and a nice array of papers to study.  Whatever approach
you select, the unavoidable fact is that you'll need lots of capacitors.
Until some of the more advanced components become available (pricing being
one aspect of "available") all solutions consist of a large array of small
valued caps supported by a few larger tantalums for MF/LF current.

So, many caps are required simply because you are not going to be able to
supply 7A to 200 pins in 1ns from a half-dozen caps.  Even if the devices
could do it, the means of delivery (the PCB) might not be able to.

I'll presume that the same applies to an IC package ... you can only
transport so much current so quickly from a power ball/pin/lead to a set of
output ball/pin/leads.  And so, lots and lots of power pins are provided.

Your statement above implies making an assumption that few of us can: the
internal "wiring" and power distribution of the particular chip we are
using.  If Xilinx says that you need one cap per pin, for an application
where a significant portion of the available I/O are active outputs, I/we
have no choice but to abide by this recommendation.  At least that's my
humble opinion.  I rather have capacitors to remove from a PCB than missing
caps at this point!

I started this thread to try to connect theory with practice when it comes
to specific devices because it seemed to me that, as it's often the case,
the ideal is hard to implement.  Lacking empirical data on this front can be
a bit scary because of the cost of failure.

An example of the divide between theory and practice is an application note
by a major memory manufacturer.  After a couple of pages of derivations and
theory the author proclaims that you need some 76 capacitors per memory
device.  Now, when was the last time you saw that on a board?  BTW, the last
page of the app note has a pictorial showing six caps being shared by two
memory devices...

 Martin Euredjian
  eCinema Systems, Inc.
       voice: 661-305-9320