[SI-LIST] Re: Which layer is better for GHz signals

  • From: Paul Levin <levinpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 13:47:49 -0700

Dear All,

Long before the standard moved from 150 ohms to
100 ohms, and I believe that only started with
4 GBd Fibre Channel, many designers had figured
out that it would be better to keep the lines
down to 100 ohms and thus match the intervening
connectors rather than have loads of 150-100-150
ohm discontinuties. Sure, this meant an overall
mismatch penalty, but the lower reflections
generally made it worth it to do so.

Regards,

Paul

Paul A. Levin