[SI-LIST] Re: Which layer is better for GHz signals

  • From: "Leonard Dieguez" <leonard.dieguez@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <michael.mirmak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 12:24:08 -0700

Chris,=20

That gives a good reason to use lower impedance traces on the inner
layers for sure.  I believe that one needs tool look at all the
advantages and disadvantages of Microstrip vs Stripline=20

I would look at trace length and frequency. The threshold of pain needs
to be set.=20

While routing signals on the top layer does let you use wider traces for
a given stackup. One has to also think about the nearend and farend
crosstalk and what that means to EMI.  Both microstrip and stripline
both exhibit nearend crosstalk to a coupled line. While and "Ideal"
Stripline would not have or have little farend crosstalk.=20

Leonard=20