[SI-LIST] Re: What frequency are IBIS models good to?

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:22:18 -0700

VS,

Excellent comments.  Here are a few more...

1)   Thanks.

2)   Depending on who you ask, it can go well beyond 1 GHz.
     I don't think there is a specific hard limit that
     anyone can set.  It is similar (but even less
     definable in my opinion) to the question, how far=20
     up can we use FR4?

3-4) Good point, and I have been talking about this for
     years.  The points can be fitted to an equation which
     would probably be even faster than the PWL approach
     plus it could be scaled instead of having three
     distinct corners (typ., min., max).

     The reason we started IBIS with the table format
     is because we used exactly what you say, controlled=20
     sources in SPICE.  It was easier to use the PWL
     sources with lab measured data, which is what we
     did in many cases.  We just got stuck with that
     format in IBIS, but now you can do it through the
     *-AMS extensions of the spec any whichever way you
     please.

     Part of the problem with using SPICE was (is) that
     its equation capabilities was (is) quite limited
     (depending on which flavor you have).

5-6) The original question was asking about IBIS being
     nothing but DC IV curves, so I assumed that the
     person asking this was talking about buffers only.
     That's why I didn't bring in the package and EBD
     aspects of IBIS, which I agree are quite limited.

     If you need anything decent on that front fro high
     frequency simulations, consider the (new) ICM
     specification.  It provides much more capabilities
     and accuracy in many areas, including the ones you
     mentioned (coupling, etc...).

     It is a new spec, so there are not too many models
     available yet, but just this week's HSPICE release does
     have support for it, so we can now all start using it...

7)   The reasons were IP, simulation speed, and the relative
     ease of doing "what if" analysis by manipulating the IV
     curves instead of the transistor level circuit design
     and/or its process parameters.  We could also add in tool
     independence, and lack of SPICE models.

     Sorry for my ignorance, but could you please clarify
     what you meant by Linux-way, instead of Microsoft-way?
     I don't see the connection there.

     I am not sure if you mean the same, but if we had better
     equation and behavioral modeling capability in most flavors
     of SPICE (not just HSPICE), we would have probably never
     started IBIS...

8)   You are absolutely right.  But IBIS became a standard for
     different reasons.  Probably mostly to have a common
     format that everyone could use, independently from which
     vendor's tool they use in their work.

9)   That capability was there for a long time in the B-element
     of HSPICE.  They provide scaling coefficients for various
     purposes.  Unfortunately these are not features of legacy
     IBIS, but now we could do it with the *-AMS extensions of
     IBIS.

Thanks,

Arpad
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D