[SI-LIST] Re: why do I need mixed mode S parameters?

  • From: Ken Vaz <kenvaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vince_cavanna@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:54:28 -0400 (EDT)

Vince,

Regarding software which simulate mixed-mode s-parameters, Ansoft's HFSS
can do this. One thing I have noticed about these simulations is that the
single-ended as well as the differential s-parameter output files I can
export from HFSS seem to be almost exactly the same, but when I view the
plots in HFSS, the single-ended and mixed-mode s-parameters are,
obviously, different. But using the Bockelman conversions on these
s-parameters, in say MATLAB, I do end up getting the mixed-mode
s-parameters that I see in the plots in HFSS. So I'm not sure how HFSS
computes the mixed-mode s-parameters. I don't see why it should, but it
seems like HFSS also uses the Bockelman conversions from single-ended to
mixed-mode. If anyone knows if HFSS actually computes the mixed-mode
s-parameters, please let me know. Also, Agilent's ADS computes mixed-mode
s-parameters, but it does it too quick. I'm not sure of the accuracy of
these simulations since it most likely doesn't solve for the fields
first, as HFSS does.

About the VNAs, the four-port VNAs available today use the same
architecture as two-port VNAs, with with a single synthesized sweeper. For
true four-port analysis we would need a VNA with dual synthesized
sweepers, especially if we need to synchronize the two input signals as in
the case of differential signaling.

One assumption that Bockelman has used in deriving the mixed-mode
conversion matrix is that the transmission lines (/DUT) is lossless. If
the transmission lines (/DUT) are lossy, the derivation breaks down and
the single-ended power waves used to stimulate the network cannot be
combined to give the differential and common-mode power waves at each
physical port. This in turn doesnt allow the conversion of the
single-ended s-parameters to mixed-mode s-parameters. This really is a
theoretical limitation more than a practical limitation, but I thought it
would be worth mentioning.

Ken

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: