[SI-LIST] Re: Strange resets happening in one of our circuit boards

  • From: "Grasso, Charles" <Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, <stubenner@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 11:01:01 -0600

Hi Doug,

Excellent point! You may also recall some excellent research done by
(if memory serves) a Unisys scientist. He was called into a computer
room that was experiencing random resets of their computer terminals.
He discovered that the source was ESD events caused by the operators
scooting across the tiled floor on their chairs and colliding with=20
metal cabinets. He simulated the events with two metal balls in a
velvet lined box - he measured low voltages with extremely fast edges.
Again - if memory serves - the bandwidth of the event exceeded 10GHz!

Best Regards
Charles Grasso
Senior Compliance Engineer
Echostar Communications Corp.