[SI-LIST] Re: Strange resets happening in one of our circuit boards

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhill@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 21:53:51 -0700

Hi John and the group,

Scope probes of the kind you are thinking of cannot be used if
impulses from ESD in the same room are suspected. The probe will show
a pulse that is not really there. They make great ESD event detectors.

Generally, a custom measurement setup must be designed for the
product. Often this is a shielded magnetic loop for measuring voltages
in the circuit (yes voltages! see some of the papers at
http://emcesd.com ,  my site) or a home built voltage probe of very
small dimensions. In any case, the measurement must be proven to be
correct before using the result. I call this a "null experiment." For
a voltage probe it is shorting the probe to the circuit ground and
making sure what you see is much smaller than the measurement of the
node you want.

Doug

Hill, John wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I like to add a series 100 ohm resistor at the reset pin on the
> microprocessor. With a 10K pull-up the voltage divider is not an issue,
> but with a scope you can see what is going on.=20
>
> This does two things. First, there is a little RC to the input. Second,
> if there are multiple open collectors on the reset pin, you can tell
> which pin is driving the reset signal low.=20
>
> When you show a programmer that current is going into their chip, they
> believe that it is really his chip pulling the reset low.
>
> Best regards,
>
> John
>

> =20
>
> ---------------------------------------
> The information in this email and attachments hereto may contain legally =
> privileged, proprietary or confidential information that is intended for =
> a particular recipient. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the =
> employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the =
> intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any disclosure, =
> copying, distribution, retention or use of the contents of this e-mail =
> information is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to Takata =
> customers or vendors, any information contained in this e-mail is =
> subject to the terms and conditions in the governing contract, if =
> applicable. If you have received this communication in error, please =
> immediately notify us by return e-mail, permanently delete any =
> electronic copies of this communication and destroy any paper copies.

     ___          _            Doug Smith
      \          / )           P.O. Box 1457
       =========               Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _            TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \          Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |         Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /          Web:     http://www.dsmith.org

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: