[SI-LIST] Re: Strange resets happening in one of our circuit boards

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steven.salkow@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 21:02:00 -0700

Hi Steven and the group,

The chair is definitely a possibility. If sparking is occuring within
the chair (about a third of office chairs) you will get radiated
fields of thousands of volts per meter.....dwarfs anthing the EMC guys
normally deal with.

If you have leads attached as in the emulator they could be acting
like antennas.

I have seen this effect take down just about every type of equipment
from gigabit lightwave systems, to electronics in the aviation
industry, and more. The equipment needs have good immunity to ESD
radiated fields to operate with this type of noise.

What's worst is that a chair that does this produces typically a dozen
or two sparks over the first 15 seconds after rising from the chair.

To test your chair, set a small AM radio tuned to an empty frequency
on the floor under the chair. When you get up, popcorn noise in the
radio confirms the chair is radiating very strong EMI.

I have written a few papers on the subject. Try looking at the
following pdf files from my website:

http://emcesd.com/pdf/eos93.pdf

http://emcesd.com/pdf/uesd99-w.pdf

Hope this helps.

Doug

Salkow, Steven wrote:

> It's not magic. Do you power the emulator from the Jtag port?
>  A uncharged cap on the emulator side as a sudden load is a short to
> your power supply and maybe is firing off your under voltage reset
> circuit. As far as what you see, question your test set up. Rolling your
> chair does not produce +5/-3V worth of noise - vibration shake
> something? When you have eliminated everything else, what is left,
> however improbable, is usually the answer.
> Good luck
>
> Steven Salkow
> Lockheed IS&S
> 3130 Zanker Rd, San Jose
> Ca. 94588
> (408) 473-4058
> steven.salkow@xxxxxxxx
> salkow@xxxxxxxxxxxx

     ___          _            Doug Smith
      \          / )           P.O. Box 1457
       =========               Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _            TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \          Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |         Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /          Web:     http://www.dsmith.org

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: