[SI-LIST] Re: Power Plane impedance simulation in PowerSI

  • From: Larry Smith <LSMITH@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jory McKinley <jory_mckinley@xxxxxxxxx>, Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>, Dan <signal.integrity2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:36:24 -0800

There are sophisticated tools and methodologies available in the industry to do
the analysis that Jory has suggested.  But it is probably useful to do some
hand analysis to see where the problem areas are and evaluate possible
solutions.  In the initial problem statement, Dan said that his target
impedance was 3 mOhms but his board impedance was 30 mOhms at his frequency of
operation (400 to 600 MHz).  The good news is that the board does not have to
supply current to the FPGA in that frequency band.  The FPGA core is likely to
have 500nF or more of on-die capacitance to cover the situation.  At 500 MHz,
500nF is 0.64 mOhms and the impedance seen by the on-die circuits is much less
than the target impedance.

Steve correctly brought up the Z-axis inductance issue.  The vertical
structures, including the PCB vias, package balls, vias and C4 bumps, are
likely sum up to 250 pH.  Istvan mentioned that we get 3 mOhms from 1 pH at 500
MHz and illustrated the challenge that inductance presents.  The most important
inductance in this picture is the 250 pH standing between the PCB power planes
and the die that consumes the current.  Another useful hand calculation is the
frequency at which the Z-axis inductance (reactance) exceeds the target
impedance.  250 pH is 3 mOhms at 1.9 MHz.  The Z-axis reactance exceeds the
target impedance at 1.9 MHz.  Above that frequency, the PCB power planes will
not be able to supply current to the die at an impedance that is below the
target impedance.   Hmmm.  There is a corner frequency in the low MHz range
above which the PCB is not capable of improving the power integrity for the die.

This is the problem that falls into the lap of all silicon product designers
including FPGAs.  It is good for system designers to use tools such as PowerSI
to analyze the situation but the results have already been determined when the
component house chose the number and pattern of power/ground balls on the
bottom of the package and the internal structure of the package that delivers
power to the die.  The PCB designer can work with the stackup to determine the
PCB power via length but his/her via pattern must follow the via pattern laid
down by the component house.  There is very little that can be done on the
board to improve the power integrity for the die core above a few MHz.  (Other
PDNs with higher target impedances will have higher corner frequencies.)

It is up to the silicon/package component house to manage the PDN impedance in
the crucial frequency band between the frequency where the Z-axis reactance
exceeds the target impedance and the frequency where the on-die capacitance
brings the PDN impedance back down below the target impedance (the die/package
resonance band).  Fortunately, we have things like on-package capacitors and
can choose package power plane and via topologies with sufficiently low
inductance to make them effective.  Nevertheless, this is a very important
issue that affects both the performance and cost of silicon products.

Altera provides customer guidance for our products through our PDN Design Tool.
 http://www.altera.com/technology/signal/power-distribution-network/sgl-pdn.html
For specific product families, the customer can see the effective corner
frequency where the board leaves off and the component takes over in managing
the power integrity for the die.  For the low target impedance core supplies,
this is will be several MHz (FPGA customers do not need to worry about
decoupling boards at several hundred MHz).  For those who are up to a
challenge, it is certainly an interesting project to use PowerSI and similar
industrial tools to analyze the power integrity of the full system.  Hopefully,
your component house has already done the work for you.  In any case, there is
very little that can be done on the board to correct power integrity issues
that must be managed in the package and die.

Regards,
Larry Smith
Altera Corporation