[SI-LIST] Ballpark estimating of PDN requirements when not provided [was Power Plane impedance simulation in PowerSI]

  • From: "alfred1520list" <alfred1520list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 11:34:14 -0800

Hi List,

Apology if the question is redundant.

While PDN design is straight forward engineering when the PDN
target requirements for the device was provided, how do one deal
with the problem when such is not available?

Can you make an order of magnitude estimate simply from the
current consumptions of the IC? long term average (second(s)),
peak current? current spectra (it might also be difficult to
measure beyond several MHz.)

Thanks for any insight.

Best Regards,
Alfred Lee