[SI-LIST] Re: MOS cap on chip for DECOUPLING

  • From: Bill.Cohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: mike_bihan@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:33:35 -0400

>In CMOS technology, what's the difference between using MOS cap  as VCC
decoupling in three different ways?

>1.  NMOS --> gate to VCC, other three nodes to VSS (inversion)

This is OK. Can't isolate the ground supply from the substrate in a normal
commercial Nwell process.

>2. PMOS --> gate to VCC, other three nodes to VSS (accumulation)

This is not a good capacitor. It has a high series resistance from the Well
connection (vss) to the gate oxide.

>3. PMOS --> gate to vss, other three nodes to VCC ( inversion)

This is the best capacitor for an NWELL process. The well provides
isolation from the substrate supply. The resistance can be low providing
the gate length is less than a couple of microns. We prefer this capacitor
in applications where we need to decouple isolated power supplies. Such
applications include PLL, gigabit links, etc.

List archives are viewable at: