[SI-LIST] Re: gnd plane kept close to track

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gstokes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 07:43:44 -0700

Hi Geoff,
I've heard talk before of the phenomena you describe - "different waves =
traveling at different velocities" - on microstrip.  I would expect this =
to manifest itself as a degraded risetime (perhaps 2 distinct edges?).  =
I have not seen this in any measurements (TDR).  The signal appears to =
propagate as a single entity at a velocity called for by a dielectric =
constant somewhere between that of air and the dielectric.  Do you have =
any examples of the effect you describe?  My current thinking is that =
this is a misconception.

The only similar phenomena I've measured (at least, I think this is what =
I was seeing) is the dispersion effect - VNA indicates the velocity =
varying as a function of frequency.  But, it's effect was very slight, =
measured up to 6GHz.

Jeff Loyer