[SI-LIST] Re: MOS cap on chip for DECOUPLING

  • From: Steve Horne <sch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:55:34 -0500

Oops, one correction to make on # 2 below.  Shouldn't type before
the first cup of coffee.

Steve Horne writes:

 > Rajat Chauhan writes:
 >  > Bi Han wrote:
 >  > >
 >  > > Hi, experts:
 >  > >
 >  > > In CMOS technology, what's the difference between using MOS cap  as VCC
 > decoupling in three different ways?
 >  > >
 >  > > 1.  NMOS --> gate to VCC, other three nodes to VSS (inversion)
 >
 > This is not bad, as long as VCC is significantly above the
 > n-channel threshold voltage.  As you approach a Vt, the
 > capacitance will drop.
 >
 >  > >
 >  > > 2. PMOS --> gate to VCC, other three nodes to VSS (accumulation)
 >
 > This is actually not in accumulation - the p-channel is in
 > depletion (i.e., it is in its normal off-state).  This would be a
 > rather poor capacitor compared to an inversion or accumulation
 > capacitor.

Sorry, this is in accumulation.  However, if it is a true
p-channel, it has a p-type source and drain.  These will not
readily supply electrons to the (accumulated) channel area as the
gate voltage is modulated.  The channel electrons must go and
come from somewhere else, probably increasing the ESR
significantly.

> [...]
 >
 >  > >
 >  > > What's their difference in High frequency application such as high
 > speed limiting amplifier?
 >
 > I don't know much about that.  I'm coming from a microprocessor
 > decoupling perspective.
 >
 >  > >
 >  > > Thanks!
 >  > >
 >  > >
 >  > > ---------------------------------
 >  > I would like to add one more to it:
 >  >
 >  > 4. NMOS --> gate, drain and source to VCC, Bulk to VSS.
 >
 > This would not be a great capacitor, because the channel is not
 > at ground.  Because you are not getting the maximum voltage
 > across the thin gate oxide, you will get less capacitance from
 > the gate.  However, you pick up a little source/drain to bulk
 > capacitance, depending on the process technology.  Not as good a
 > choice as #1 or #3, IMO.
 >
 > Yet another option (assuming you have this option in your fab
 > process) is
 >
 > 5. Varactor --> for example, an n-channel transistor in an N-well
 >    with n+ source and drains, gate tied to VSS and
 >    source/drain/well tied to ground.  This seems kind of weird,
 >    but it is a MOSFET that is truly in accumulation.  This will
 >    give you similar capacitance than #1, but you can let VCC
 >    approach a Vt without seeing the capacitance drop.  The ESR of
 >    this capacitor is also fairly low, which is good (though maybe
 >    someone would actually want a higher ESR to reduce a parallel
 >    resonance, I don't know).
 >
 > BTW, the ESR of all these capacitors and the ideal geometry
 > depends partly on whether you are in a p substrate of an n
 > substrate (or SOI).  It also depends on your poly gate
 > resistivity compared to your channel resistance.  You have to
 > select a capacitor that is suited to your fab process.
 >
 > A couple of other issues that affect your choice of capacitor
 > type and geometry are
 >
 >   - leakage at your expected operating voltage
 >   - defect density at the field/diffusion edges vs in the middle
 >     of the gate
 >
 > Steve
 >
 >  >
 >  > Thanks
 >  > Rajat
 >  > ___________________________
 >  > RAJAT CHAUHAN
 >  > TI-Banglore
 >  > ------------------------------------------------------------------
 >  > To unsubscribe from si-list:
 >  >
 >  > or to administer your membership from a web page, go to:
 >  > //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
 >  >
 >  > For help:
 >  > si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'help' in the Subject field
 >  >
 >  > List archives are viewable at:
 >  >           //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
 >  > or at our remote archives:
 >  > Old (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are viewable at:

List archives are viewable at: