[SI-LIST] Re: Glass Weave effects and Cross sectioning

  • From: "Alfred P. Neves" <al@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 13:59:11 -0800

Sorry, although your wide-scope monologue is interesting and got me thinking, I
don’t see how it was “clarifying” as it relates to material properties.
I presented a simple and practical process to evaluate materials suited for
32Gbpsec level test fixtures and fabrications, that is all.
Furthermore, there is no such thing as “skew”. There is only velocity of
propagation versus frequency and a mode for that propagation. None of the
microwave, transmission line, and RF books I have include “skew” in the
appendix. Skew was a 1nsec rise time logic system thing from the 1980’s.

Secondly, group delay directly impacts the jitter of an NRZ signal, based on
the power spectral density, in a predictable way. I don’t see a way of
doing that using phase delay, feel free to educate us on the practicalities of
that methodology.

I agree that group delay does aggravate noise in a stochastic system, but it is
not invalid method, I recall it is used extensively for causality analysis in
most EDA packages. We use it all the time to predict the bandwidth lossed when
de-embedding. I can predict the effective bandwidth of a post processed
de-embedded system quite accurately using that data. Making good group delay
measurements isn’t difficult if you set up the VNA correctly btw.

- Al

Products for the Signal Integrity Practitioner

Alfred P. Neves
Chief Technologist

Office: 503-679-2429

www.wildrivertech.com <http://www.wildrivertech.com/>
2015 Best In Design&Test Finalist

On Dec 30, 2015, at 1:01 PM, Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

To clarify a bit

1) Skew ... in laminates, in trace routing, in packages, in drivers, and in
asymmetric 3D transitions is the primary physical problem that is occurring.

2) Skew is primarily measured in the frequency domain as phase delay. Group
delay is a derivative function and is subject to measurement noise,
resonances, and numerical error.

3) Skew causes conversion from the differential to the common mode of
propagation (Scd), and from the common mode to the differential mode (Sdc).

4) Skew is either uncontrolled (laminate weave) or controlled (trace breakout
routing, asymmetric via transitions).

5) Controlled skew may be recovered if, and only if, there are no TEM
discontinuities between the point of skew creation and the point of skew
compensation.

6) Uncontrolled skew cannot be compensated for by definition. It exists as a
statistical anomaly for common materials.

7) When controlled or uncontrolled skew reaches a TEM discontinuity, both the
differential mode and the common mode scatter.

8) The scattering of common mode energy results in significant propagation of
crosstalk energy between vias, which are not well localized for common mode.

9) Common mode scattering is almost always asymmetric, resulting in
additional common mode to differential mode noise conversion in via fields.
(i.e. Crosstalk)

10) Common mode scattering into planes, being poorly localized by ground
vias, tends to result in noise "pick up" across the entire PCB, and is highly
sensitive to all cavity resonances.

11) There are very simple test methods that can be used to determine the
relative skew sensitivity of different laminates, which can be incorporated
into Generalized Modal S-Parameter material characterization methods.

12) Test boards have the advantage of being able to use special materials,
better weaves, isotropic materials, or routing tricks for skew mitigation.
With the exception of better weaves, most of these techniques are not viable
for design and manufacture of real systems, due to economic concerns.

Ultimately, we are reaching a final bound on the applicability of PCB
materials for use in the ever-increasing interconnect bandwidth, due either
to the inherent skew of real materials, or the inherent loss limits of these
materials and traces.

We are at an inflection point in high performance interconnects. Either we
turn to optical interconnect, or to something else that is copper.
Personally, I have the opportunity to work in both the optical and the copper
electrical playground. This next generation of 56G NRZ and beyond will be
designed with Twin-Ax cable, both on-board, on-backplane, and within rack.

Scott McMorrow
R&D Consultant
Teraspeed Consulting - A Division of Samtec
16 Stormy Brook Rd
Falmouth, ME 04105
(401) 284-1827 Business
http://www.teraspeed.com <http://www.teraspeed.com/>
On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 3:27 PM, Alfred P. Neves <al@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:al@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
“Skew” IMHO is not a good metric for 50GHz level signal integrity (32G
NRZ, 56G PAM-4). I realize this may be slightly veering from the initial
thread, but it relates to what is going on with IEEE p370 activity and
relates keeping the eye open.
For our Custom Channel Modeling platforms we use the following metrics for
fabrication and material performance:

1. Variation of impedance trace to trace, where the impedance is an
average, this relates to the typical 5% impedance tolerance
2. Variability of trace impedance using a fast TDR, or a measure of
homogeneity of the material for a single trace. Traces need to be rotated
from in line with weave to orthogonal. Poor homogeneity, such as 2-3ohms,
for 15-45 degree rotations is really not a good thing. We will probably
start identifying specific laminate systems and fabricators with a 3sigma
number and histogram the variation as well.
3. Group delay variation from DC to Fmax s21, s43 and SDD21. This is a
much better metric than skew, especially for microstrip transmission lines or
test fixtures mixing single and differential.
4. Differential to common mode, SDC21 transformation for carefully balanced
systems (no bends or twists). The device/package can potentially generate
skew based on poor return loss or mode issues as well.
5. Group delay noise, SDD21, or s21 and s34 or forward transmissions.

We find that simulation to measurement correspondence, material
identification, and the commonly used de-embedding schemes (AFR for example)
work out much better using this comprehensive look at materials. Yuriy
Shlepnev suggested some time back looking at both real/imaginary parts of the
s-parameter but I haven’t got my head around that yet. We are using
cross section for VIA’s , trace geometries, but not for X-Y yet, thanks for
the idea Lee and Bill. The X-Y cross section will juxtapose nicely against
the electrical verification.

Any positive comments or other ideas?

- Al Neves

Products for the Signal Integrity Practitioner

Alfred P. Neves
Chief Technologist

Office: 503-679-2429

www.wildrivertech.com <http://www.wildrivertech.com/>
<http://www.wildrivertech.com/ <http://www.wildrivertech.com/>>
2015 Best In Design&Test Finalist

On Dec 30, 2015, at 9:09 AM, Lee Ritchey <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I polish two of the edges, one X and one Y and use a microscope to see what
the glass styles are.

Since I want to know before I accept delivery, I require the fabricator to
include a copy of the traveler with the shipment. This shows what glass
styles were used.