[SI-LIST] Re: Glass Weave effects and Cross sectioning

  • From: Jeff Loyer <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bbakshan@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 07:39:31 -0800

I was working with IPC to try to find a metric we could use to quantify the
"goodness" of the various spread styles but I doubt that will come to pass
in a meaningful timeframe. In order to accomplish that, you need to measure
the skew mitigation vs. some measure of "spreadness" and I don't think
that's reasonably possible. In our experience, the amount of skew varied
significantly between boards and traces on the same board, so any studies
have to have rigorous statistics applied, including having a large number of
panels built and measured for each weave type being analyed. I doubt that
will happen, though we can continue hoping.

I think that looking at a cross-section and then assigning a skew value to
that observed weave is not going to be realizable. Instead, you're probably
forced to rely on others' experience with particular weave types, if you use
that method to mitigate the Fiberweave Effect.

For my information, can I ask folks why they don't just use "zig-zag"
routing? It's what we primarily adopted at Intel in order to have a robust
and cost-free solution. The drawback we were running into when I left was
that there was a limit to how much you could apply it - at some point you're
forced to run through pin fields, etc. and are forced to route parallel to
the board edges. On the other hand, the studies that I saw indicated that
modern receiver equalization took care of the Fiberweave Effect much better
than when our original study was published, so 2-3" of skew due to the
Fiberweave is inconsequential for modern interfaces.

If "zig-zag" routing isn't a good option for some applications, wouldn't
just rotating the board 10 degrees be more palatable than constraining your
material type?

Jeff Loyer
Signal and Power Integrity Product Manager, Altium