[SI-LIST] Re: Finding the impedance of a PCB trace

  • From: christopher.heard@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 14:58:24 -0400

Also, remember that surface microstrip traces get "plated up" to a thicker
value.  Teradyne would assume that a 1oz. trace on the surface would get
plated up to 3.35mils thick and the top of the trapezoid would be 5.5 mils.

Chris

**********************
Chris Heard
Teradyne
Work: 603-879-1031
Cell: 508-277-5780
SMS Text Message: 5082775780@xxxxxxxxx
Email: christopher.heard@xxxxxxxxxxxx
AIM Screen Name: chrisheard2001

|         |           Doug Brooks      |
|         |           <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>|
|         |           si-list-bounce@fr|
|         |           eelists.org      |
|         |           05/02/2005 02:29 |
|         |           doug             |

<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                                                    |
  |       cc:
                                                                |
  |       Subject:  [SI-LIST] Re: Finding the impedance of a PCB trace

>OK, looking at this more closely, I get

1. With Polar, no trace trapezoidal assumption (6 mil, 1 oz, rectangular)
       Zo = 47.38

2. Polar, WITH trapezoidal assumption, 6 mil bottom, 5 mil top
      Zo = 50.49

3. UltraCAD's UCCALC, automatically assumes a trapezoid, nominal 6 mil
bottom
      Zo = 48.5

4.  HyperLynx, assumes 6 mil x 1 oz rectangular
      Zo = 47.6    (Bill, I don't know why you got a larger value!)

Doug Brooks

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org