[SI-LIST] Re: Finding the impedance of a PCB trace

  • From: Ralf Bruening <ralf.bruening@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Graham Davies" <GrahamDavies@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 23:40:59 +0200

Hello Graham,

just my comments on this as well - I guess you are experiencing
the difference between equations (which sometimes are rather
good, sometimes for some configurations they are rather bad) and
real 2 or 3D field solvers where the difference are mainly in the
different mathematicsal appraoch behind and even as well in how
the area of interest is meshed - nevertheless the variation of
more then 20 % between maximum and minimum is surprising.

regards

       Ralf

BTW: Zukens Hot-Stage fieldsolvers with its 2 kernels (user can
choose between BEM and FEM) gives:

    Boundary Element:   47,60
    FEM  (assuming trapez in rectangular shape): 47,85

GD> This is, of course, related to my search for a good 6-layer stackup.

GD> What is the impedance of a PCB trace (microstrip) with the following
GD> parameters:
GD> Width ......................... 6.00 mil
GD> Height above return plane ..... 3.20 mil
GD> Thickness ..................... 1.35 mil (1 ounce copper)
GD> Dielectric rel. permittivity .. 4.2

GD> These are the answers I get from various tools:

GD> 41... ohms (http://www.icd.com.au/)
GD> 41.69 ohms (http://www.emclab.umr.edu/pcbtlc/microstrip.html)
GD> 41.69 ohms (TraceSim version 1.0.0)
GD> 41.69 ohms (http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?
GD> aiocp_dp=util_pcb_imp_calculator)
GD> 41.7 .ohms
GD> (http://www.sunmantechnology.com/resources/cal_cat00.shtml)
GD> 46.14 ohms (ZTOOL Impedance Calculator V1.2)
GD> 47.31 ohms
GD> (http://www.rogers-corp.com/mwu/mwi_java/mwij_vp.html)
GD> 50.89 ohms (http://www.csgnetwork.com/boardrunimpcalc.html)
GD> 51.27 ohms (TxLine version 1.1)

GD> Does anyone have an idea as to why these calculators give results
GD> that vary by 20% and which are more reliable?

GD> Graham.

GD> or to administer your membership from a web page, go to:
GD> //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list

GD> For help:
GD> si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'help' in the Subject field

GD> List FAQ wiki page is located at:
GD>                 http://si-list.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Si-List_FAQ

GD> List technical documents are available at:
GD>                 http://www.si-list.org

GD> List archives are viewable at:
GD>             //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
GD> or at our remote archives:
GD> Old (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are viewable at:
GD>             http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

Ralf Bruening
Product Manager High Speed Design/Partner & Solution Business
Zuken EMC Technology Center
Vattmannstr.3
33100 Paderborn
Germany

Tel: ++49 (0) 5251 150 600 (direct -621)
Fax: ++49 (0) 5251 150 700
Cellular: +49 170 4228512 (alternative: +49 172 9070675)

Email: ralf.bruening@xxxxxxxx
Web: www.zuken.com

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: