[SI-LIST] Re: Finding the impedance of a PCB trace

  • From: "Hargin, Bill" <bill_hargin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <GrahamDavies@xxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 09:57:42 -0700

This is getting interesting. =20

If I understood your stackup properly, Graham, I come up with a
significantly different value with HyperLynx's 2D field solver.  I get
54.4 Ohms.  I'll send you a jpg of the stackup I'm looking at offline,
and maybe you can tell me whether I've got it right.

Why the 20% variation amongst the equation-based solvers? ... An
interesting question for someone with the time to investigate would be
where the equation-based results are breaking down.  Eric Bogatin and
others have compared the HyperLynx field solver with both Ansoft and
bench measurements, finding the results to be within 1 percent across a
wide range of standard PCB dimensions. =20

Doug commented:
"As an added reference, the new Polar Quicksolver gives Zo for these
dimensions as 47.38 Ohms" ...=20

So, that would be a 12 percent variation between the two field solvers
here. =20

Can you run this in LineSim, Doug, and see if you get the same results
that I do?

Bill Hargin
Product Manager - HyperLynx
Mentor Graphics Corp.