[SI-LIST] Re: Ferrite bead question

  • From: "Curt McNamara" <CurtM@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <zhang_kun@xxxxxxxxxx>, <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 08:43:44 -0500

These are very good points to which I would add another: current needs
to be supplied to a device at its switching frequency. If you have
placed a ferrite with significant impedance between the device and the
power planes, then all the current is taken from local capacitors. The
implication of such an arrangement is that the device generates noise
which you are trying to localize and keep from the power planes.
However, as current is taken from the local cap, it needs to be replaced
from the plane by current flowing through the ferrite. Since there is
significant impedance at this frequency, the bucket drains faster than
it can be refilled. As a result you can't use a ferrite with significant
impedance at the switching frequency. In general ferrites are selected
to be useful at high harmonic frequencies.

                                        Curt

Curt McNamara. P.E.=20
Senior Electrical Engineer=20
Logic Product Development=20
411 Washington Ave. N Suite 101=20
Minneapolis, MN 55401=20
Tel 612-436-5178=20
Fax 612-672-0443=20
curtm@xxxxxxxxxxx=20
www.logicpd.com=20
protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should
copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.