[SI-LIST] Re: Eye diagram measurement

  • From: "Jeremy Plunkett" <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: janton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, edpc108@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 19:23:29 -0700

Jim,
Here is a trick that worked well for me.  It complicates your spice deck a
bit but simplifies the post processing greatly.

Most of the time you don't need to know exactly how many failures occurred
if there were a lot of them.  You are targeting 0 eye violations and if any
occurred then something is really wrong(most likely with the setup of your
buffer netlist).  Maybe if you are simulating a marginal channel you would
be interested whether there were 10 failures or just one, but you certainly
don't care if 50% of the bits failed because that means something is
seriously wrong with your spice deck.

In this case you really only need 10 measure statements to capture the times
of the 1st 10 failures, and maybe another 10 to capture the voltage at each
failure so you can see in the spreadsheet what edge of your eye mask the
failures are occuring on.

The way to get just these 10 measurements is to build a "behavioral
receiver" that measures the difference between your differential waveform
and a waveform representing the mask(which you create with a pulse source),
and triggers a measurement based on the crossings.  To simplify the mask
down to a single waveform, rectify the differential signal you're looking at
before comparing it.  By having the mask waveform maintain a negative value
during times outside of the window you want to measure, you can avoid
triggering measurements at those times.  An E element(voltage controlled
voltage source) works for the differential receiver, and an E element with
ABS=1 serves as the rectifier.

If you want to see the mask in a graphical eye diagram, you'll need a
separate mask waveform that covers both the positive and negative
requirements for the eye (one cycle pos-neg is enough, it can sit at 0 the
rest of the time).  If you want to see the mask in a regular waveform plot,
you'll need 2 waveforms so both pos and neg limits are present in each bit
cell.

Best regards,
Jeremy