[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling capacitors for BGA

  • From: "Mark Alexander" <mark.alexander@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <joepaulm@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 12:11:15 -0600

Joe,

Additional layers certainly make good PDS design easier, but they're not
a necessity.  Many applications are shoehorned into the 4-6 layer regime
by cost optimization, and the remarkable thing is that many of them have
good, robust PDS's -- they have to!

The main idea here is that if you can throw layers at the problem, the
task of designing an adequate PDS is made much much simpler.  If you
don't have the luxury of layers, you're forced into tradeoffs and
compromises and you have to do everything right; check every decision.
No room for mistakes.

-mark