[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling capacitors for BGA

  • From: Joe Paul M <joepaulm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 16:54:36 +0530

HI Subbu,
I saw the replies you got and  the refernce docs they specified
They will give you a good idea on giving optimal decoupling.

But ,
the 6 layer stack up you are using doesnt sound good to me.
I dont know , what is the kind of stack up you are using ,but if you dont
have an an adjacent VCC-GND pair , you are inviting a lot of troubles.

With a processor runningat 532 Mhz , I suggest you to improve the stack up
to an 8 layer one ,with a pair of toughtly coupled VCC-GND layer pair.
According to me the cost you pay for the extra 2 layers is not much ,
compared to the advantage it brings.

Gurus: Please correct  if I am wrong.

Regards
Joe Paul