[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling capacitors

  • From: "mittalr@xxxxxxxxxx" <mittalr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 12:30:24 -0400 (EDT)

On a slightly tangential topic. Have you ever wondered the need for 100pf caps.
Everyone just seems to sprinkle them as a safety measure but I see no need for
them because
- the IC by itself will have about 50-100pF. I checked with many IC guys and
the ICs where you really need decoupling are generally big enough to have that
much decoupling on-chip.
- On top of this you have inter-plane caps.

I have seen many of my designs get away with no 100pF caps. I would use 1nF and
0.1uF, rather than 100pf, 10nF and 0.1uF. Anyone have any other experience...

List archives are viewable at: