[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling capacitors

  • From: Ray Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 14:02:05 -0700 (PDT)

Another thing to consider regarding Y5V parts is the loss
of rated capacitance when DC bias is applied.

Y5V parts exhibit a loss of about 85% capacitance at a
bias level of 6vdc. i.e.: a 100uF part will actually
have about 15uF capacitance at 6 vdc bias.

X5R (which is similar to X7R) parts exhibit a 40% loss
of capacitance at 6vdc. A 100uF part will have 60uF
capacitance at 6vdc.

Be sure to understand all the curves on the data sheets
and ping your selected vendor for more detailed info.

-Ray Anderson

Sun Microsystems

>Decoupling capacitors 0603/X7R/100nF versus 0402/Y5V/100nF
>
>Although 0402 pkg. has less inductance (that matters), 100nF caps in that
>package are only available with Y5V dielectric and our EE has the following
>concerns:
>
>1.     Self-resonant frequency is lower  (5MHz for Y5V versus 20MHz for
>X7R)
>
>2.     Limited temperature range (+22%-82% capacitance for Y5V versus
>+/-15% capacitance for X7R)
>

>Is it safe to use 0402 pkg. instead of 0603?
>

>Thanks,
>Alex

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>
>For help: