[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling capacitors

  • From: "mkhusid" <mkhusid@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Alexander.Shapira@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 17:22:22 -0400

In my experience, the greatest concern with the 0402 capacitors comes
from manufacturing. 0402 caps do not tolerate mis-registration of most
placement machines in production today -- make absolutely sure your PCB
assembly house can actually solder 0402 caps without shorts.

Also, a good workaround would be using 0306 caps for decoupling. These
caps were designed for lower inductance, so they have solder terminal
along the wider side. They do not pose significant challenges for
soldering procedure. Also, you should not have troubles finding X7R or
X5R 0306 caps.

These caps were nearly impossible to buy about a year ago, but these
days there are much fewer problems with supply.

There are several competing manufacturers of 0306 caps. If you can't
find any, I'll give you a good contact offline.

Mike Khusid
(now at) Ansoft Corporation