[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling capacitors

  • From: John Barnes <jrbarnes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: joepaul@xxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 11:03:48 -0400

Joe Paul,
If you have access to:
*  An oscilloscope,
*  A pulse generator,
*  A coaxial cable with female BNC connectors on both ends,
*  One BNC barrel connector,
      AND
*  One 51-ohm 1/4W carbon-composition resistor,
you can make reasonable-accurate measurements of the equivalent-series
inductance (ESL) and the equivalent-series resistance (ESR) of
capacitors.  Just use Doug Smith's test setup described on his web page
Measuring Capacitor Self-inductance and ESR, at
   http://www.emcesd.com/tt020100.htm

Doug has a wealth of useful techniques like this one on his web site
   http://www.emcesd.com/
to supplement his book High Frequency Measurements and Noise in
Electronic Circuits (New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1993).

In my opinion, Doug's book is THE BEST single source of information on
making high-frequency measurements, out of over 2,800 books on
electronics (16 bookcases) in my personal library.  You can buy the book
directly from Doug at
   http://www.emcesd.com/indxinfo.htm

With Doug's permission, and giving all due credit to him on page 42-2, I
based most of Chapter 42, Lab Tests, in my Book Robust Electronic Design
Reference Book, Volume 1, on measurement techniques that Doug has
devised and published.  (http://www.dbicorporation.com/book-out.htm)

                John Barnes KS4GL, PE, NCE, ESDC Eng, PSE, SM IEEE
                dBi Corporation
                http://www.dbicorporation.com/

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: