[SI-LIST] Re: DDR2 2-slot design preference...

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 23:43:16 -0400

Yep, aren't differential pairs nice?  They minimize the amount of energy
injected into the cavity.  Try 1 or 2 Gbps single-ended data transfers
and then you'll start seeing cavities light up.  As I said previously,
it's a matter of the magnitude of the signals that are coupled into the
cavity.

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

Lee Ritchey wrote:
> We are still talking about simulations.  The real question isn't is there
> some coupling mechanism, but rather is the coupled energy significant.
> It's just like the via in a signal path question.  It is certainly visible,
> but it does not contribute significant signal degradation.
>
> For example we just finished a supercomputer that has thousands of 5.2 Gb/S
> paths in it all of which have 4 vias in each path.  There is a visible
> reflection from each via, but these reflections are so small their impact
> on signal quality is tiny compared to skin effect loss and dielectric loss.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: