[SI-LIST] Re: DDR2 2-slot design preference...

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:25:14 -0700

Lee, the case at issue was a GND-GND cavity, but applies equally well
for mixed voltages.  The physics are indisputable.  The issue is how bad
does the problem have to be before we get:  a) EMI radiation, and EFT /
ESD susceptibility, or b) signal integrity issues.

The good news is that until we get to ultrafast edge rates the simple
remedy for the GND-GND case is simply stitch with sufficient density.
That is becoming tougher for GND-VCC cavities, but can still be done in
many cases.  It depends on just how much energy one wants injects into
the cavity and what the spectrum of that energy looks like.

For an example of a real-life case where adding stitching fixed a real
problem get a hold of EMC2 / Ansoft paper delivered in Santa Clara just
last week.  There you will see good correlation between both the models
and the measurements demonstrating the phenomenon.  In their case the
stitch was good enough for signaling but was generating an EMI issue.

In the past few years the speed and accuracy of various simulation
methods has improved immensely.  This permits designers to play what-if
and get excellent performance without becoming slaves to ad-hoc rules.

Best Regards,

Steve.

--
Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

California office
(408) 884-3985 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: