[SI-LIST] Re: DDR2 2-slot design preference...

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Eric Bogatin" <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, pritchard_jason@xxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:22:52 -0700

We are still talking about simulations.  The real question isn't is there
some coupling mechanism, but rather is the coupled energy significant.
It's just like the via in a signal path question.  It is certainly visible,
but it does not contribute significant signal degradation.

For example we just finished a supercomputer that has thousands of 5.2 Gb/S
paths in it all of which have 4 vias in each path.  There is a visible
reflection from each via, but these reflections are so small their impact
on signal quality is tiny compared to skin effect loss and dielectric loss.

On
> Behalf Of pritchard_jason@xxxxxxx
> Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 1:58 PM
> To: Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxx; si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: DDR2 2-slot design preference...
>
> Yes 1 ground via was placed directly next to each the signal vias on the
> test board. They were 100 ohm vias. Unfortunately it kept the impedance
> low at the edges of the via structure where the grounds were placed. You
> would need more ground vias to truly pin it down. We did one simulation
> with them taken out to show how it got worse.=20
>
> I would imagine voltage planes are more often the culprit for
> resonances. They may be only used to supply power at one location on the
> board and then are routed to the rest of the design as a signal
> reference. These planes typically don't have capacitors placed across
> the whole design. If you did have capacitors across the whole design you
> may only have a limited frequency range in which that may be effective.=20
>
> -Jason

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: