[SI-LIST] Re: Constraints on DQ/DQS and CK/CK# in DDR

  • From: James_R_Jones@xxxxxxxx
  • To: JackWCLin@xxxxxxxxxxxx, brian.p.moran@xxxxxxxxx,rsefton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:56:53 -0500

All,

My understanding is that data is latched in by the strobes through a set of
registers.  Obviously, the data has a relationship to the strobe (setup,
hold) in order to make this happen.  I believe that there are two sets of
these registers in parallel, one that is positive strobe edge triggered, and
one that is negative strobe edge triggered.   This is how data is latched
into the chip.

Now the data must be piped into the rest of the component, that is running
synchronous to the host clock.  For this, a secondary row of registers is
used that is clocked by the host clock.

Now obviously, there is a relationship of host clock to strobe, or else the
data will not latch properly from the first two parallel registers (strobe
triggered) to the second set of registers (clock triggered).

I have used the datasheet data from the JEDEC spec for the DRAM
requirements, and the memory controller specification and derived timing
equations for this in the past.  You won't ever know exactly what the delay
is in the part, but you can solve the equations based on what is given in
the two sets of timings.  If you wanted to, you could solve the Strobe to
Clock relations simultaneously with the Data to Strobe relations in order to
find the Data to Clock relationships.  Or you could just verify each
individually, my personal preference.

Hope this helps,
James R. Jones
Dell