[SI-LIST] Re: Constraints on DQ/DQS and CK/CK# in DDR

  • From: "Moran, Brian P" <brian.p.moran@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'rsefton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <rsefton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 18:27:13 -0700

Robert,

I'm one of those guys at Intel that comes up with these rules based on
extensive
simulations and verified in post silicon validation. You should be =
aware
that while DDR is source synchronous as you say, all signals on the DDR
interface also
have a timing relationship with CK/CK#. In the case of control, =
command,
address, and
strobes, this relationship is direct. In the case of the data bus there =
is
an indirect
timing relationship with CK/CK# by way of the strobes. So
every signal in the interface has a timing relationship back to CK/CK# =
and
therefore
their length must be defined and controlled with respect to CK/CK#.=20

The 90 degree skew between DQ and DQS allows the DQs to be centered in =
the
DQS sampling
window when routed to equal lengths across a byte lane on the MB. Some
designs also
have mechanisms to provide skew between other signal groups and CK/CK# =
such
that they
are centered in the CK/CK# sampling window when routed with the natural
routing flow of
a typical multi-DIMM placement. This is intended to eliminate the need =
for
extensive
serpentine on control signals and command/address busses.  =20

Bottom line is you still have to create length matching rules for every
signal group
with repect to clock.=20

=20

Brian P. Moran