[SI-LIST] Re: Conductor loss reduction at High Frequency

  • From: Bill Wurst <billw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 07:39:54 -0500

One of the characteristics missing from this discussion on conductor
roughness is what is known as the "toothing profile," mentioned in
Howard Johnson's "High-Speed Signal Propagation - Advanced Black Magic"
book, section 2.11 (see also,
http://signalintegrity.com/Pubs/edn/SurfaceRoughness.htm).  The toothing
profile is the surface landscape that results from a variety of surface
treatments, whether the reverse-treat foil process, the double-treat
process, or something else.  In addition to peak-to-valley and rms
roughness measurements, this additional characteristic could account for
significant differences in conductor loss.  Dr. Johnson postulates that
the double-treat process may result in both good surface adhesion as
well as lower conductor loss, but it does not appear that much if any
research has been done exploring the loss differences between different
surface treatments.

Regards,
     -Bill

      /         billw@xxxxxxxxxxx         /