[SI-LIST] Re: Conductor loss reduction at High Frequency

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:06:32 -0700

Jeff, fancy materials and processing as you note bring a whole slew of
engineering and economic challenges.  The strong impetus is always going
to be to throw what just keeps getting cheaper at the problem:  transistors.

Best Regards,

Steve.
Loyer, Jeff wrote:
> I'm afraid your question falls into an "under development..." bucket
> that I'm not able to say a whole lot about regarding specifics.  From a
> high-level philosophical viewpoint, here's a thought or two...
>
> While we haven't had to worry about (or specify) loss (both conductor
> and dielectric), we don't have that luxury any longer.  Loss plays a
> large role in the performance of today's busses.  Usually loss is a bad
> thing, but it can help in some instances.
>
> We also don't have the luxury of throwing infinite amounts of money at
> the problem for low-profile conductors and low-loss dielectrics.
> Solutions must have comparable prices to past materials.  This is very
> challenging.
>
> Even if we could spend lots of money for exotic materials (and I've had
> the luxury of doing that in a past job), those materials aren't
> risk-free either.  They can have their own unique reliability issues,
> some of which may only surface under very high volume conditions.
> Moving away from tried-and-true is not to be taken lightly.
>
> Specifying loss is not a trivial endeavor either - do we differentiate
> between conductor and dielectric losses?  At what frequency(ies)?  How
> do we measure it in a HVM environment, so I get the same answer from
> suppliers throughout the globe? (CHEAPLY)
>
> How we specify control of loss on PCB's is an on-going topic which I
> think will take a lot of discussion/negotiation before all the details
> emerge.
>
> Disclaimer:
> The content of this message is my personal opinion only and although I
> am an employee of Intel, the statements I make here in no way represent
> Intel's position on the issue, nor am I authorized to speak on behalf of
> Intel on this matter.
>
> Jeff Loyer

Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

California office
(408) 884-3985 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: