[SI-LIST] Re: Conductor loss reduction at High Frequency

  • From: "Eric Bogatin" <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:47:28 -0500

I second Scott's important point. Above 1 GHz, skin depth is less than 2
microns in copper. When the RMS surface roughness is larger than the skin
depth, it affects conductor loss.

Above 3 GHz, surface roughness can almost double conductor loss. In fact,
the commonly used approximations for the impact from conductor loss,
saturate at a factor of 2 increase to the resistance when the surface
roughness is about 3 x skin depth.

This means, even though your line width is 5 mils, it would have the
conductor loss equivalent of a 2.5 mil wide line. The conductor loss can
easily swamp the dissipation factor of even FR4, negating any benefit for
low loss materials unless you are using very wide lines.

If you want the biggest bang for the buck in evaluating conductors, try
looking at surface treatments that allow smoother copper foils.

--eric

**************************************
Dr. Eric Bogatin, President
Bogatin Enterprises, LLC
Setting the Standard for Signal Integrity Training
26235 w 110th terr
Olathe, KS 66061
v: 913-393-1305
f: 913-393-0929
c:913-424-4333
e:eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.BeTheSignal.com
Fall 2007 Signal Integrity Training Institute
EPSI, SIAA, BBDP
Oct 8-12, 2007, San Jose, CA