[SI-LIST] Re: Bypass Capacitor Selection

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Steve Weir" <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>, "David Anthony" <x2y@xxxxxxx>,jmartinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 14:44:16 -0800

Steve,

As i mentioned, we measured all sorts of land patterns and their effect on
the impedance vs. frequency that one sees on a PCB power supply.  Figure
34.10 shows this with an array capacitor, 2 each 0603 capacitors with for
vias and an 0612 with twelve vias.

From this data, it can be seen that the array capacitor is only marginally
better than a pair of 0603 capacitors at a much higher overall cost.

To get real value from these very low inductance capacitors it is necessary
to make a significant reduction in mounting inductance.  That can happen on
very thin substrates, such as BGA packages.

The rest of the time, sticking with standard components is a good
compromise between performance and cost.

I'm sure this news will not be appreciated by those making the array style
capacitors, but that's how the measurements work out , but that's why we
made all of the measurements.  We needed to know just what we were going to
get from the various types of parts.

Lee

<jmartinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 1/2/2004 9:17:45 AM
> Subject: Re: [SI-LIST] Re: Bypass Capacitor Selection
>
> Lee,
>
> I have become a big believer in the X2Y parts over the past several
> years.  While, the land patterns naturally suit themselves to multiple
vias
> to mitigate the effects of attachment inductance, the presence of the
G1/G2
> plates make these devices perform much better than anything else I have
> seen, ( as well as offering some applications regular caps can't do at
all
> ).  I love these things for SMPS and decoupling.  The limited sources of
> supply used to make them costly and hard to get, but that has improved
> quite a bit in the past 24 months, to the point where they are both
> performance and cost effective.
>
> One of the really amazing characteristics of these devices is the very
well
> behaved and lower impedance floor.  Since we are limited largely by how
> many vias we attach with, these devices are about as close to ideal as we
> can get.  I think it would be well worth your while to reevaluate
> decoupling to any particular target impedance using X2Ys versus any
> alternative.  I believe you will be very pleasantly surprised.
>
> Steve.
>

> At 08:40 AM 1/2/2004 -0800, Lee Ritchey wrote:
> >This is a good subject to explore.  However, focusing on the parasitic
> >inductance of the capacitor itself is too narrow a view.  What counts is
> >the total inductance, including the mounting pads and vias.   On
multilayer
> >PCBs, the mounting inductance dominates the picture.  When this had been
> >taken into account, the ultralow inductance capacitors turn out to be not
> >much better than the standard two terminal devices.
> >
> >While I haven't published any papers specifically on this topic, nor
have I
> >seen anyone else do so, we did treat this topic in great detail with many
> >lab measurements in the book I published late last year.  Don't mean to
> >push the book in this reply, but want to make sure the information is
> >visible to those who are curious.
> >
> >On my web site, there is a list of articles, one by Micheal Grime and one
> >by the engineers at UMR which sheds some light on the overall topic of
> >capacitor selection.  site is www.speedingedge.com
> >

> >Lee

This
> > > will limit your cap and via density.  You'll also have some DFM
> > > resistance to putting the vias as close together and as close to the
SMT
> > > pads as you'd ideally like.  Cap arrays can partially solve these
> > > problems.  Here are some points about using the cap arrays:
> > >
> > > 1.  They effectively put 4 0402 or smaller parts in the same area as
an
> > > 1206 or smaller.  This means you can get a higher number of caps and
> > > vias in a given area.   =20
> > > 2.  Interdigitate so that much of the inductance works for you instead
> > > of against you.  Alternate power and ground so that the power isn't
all
> > > on one side and the ground is on the other.  There is a paper from AVX
> > > on using expensive IDC cap arrays that show this.  I think the IDC cap
> > > arrays are nice but expensive.  Using regular cap arrays on pads
> > > designed for the AVX IDC cap arrays, you can get the beneficial
> > > interdigitated mutual inductance in your vias, which are the larger
part
> > > of the inductance.  Another benefit of this is that if your decoupling
> > > is found to be inadequate after your boards are made, you can use
these
> > > AVX IDC cap arrays without spinning your board.
> > > 3.  You may not be able to have the vias for the two voltages point
> > > inward from the pads like you might have been able to with discretes.
> > > So you'll have to look at your board's DFM rules.  This may be a
> > > disadvantage of using the cap arrays.
> > > 4.  The purchase cost of the cap arrays is higher than 4 discretes.
> > > Average placement, etc... costs for each discrete are usually a couple
> > > US cents.  These costs per discrete always exist but may not be
> > > internalized in the assembly pricing you see.  You'll have to look at
> > > the economic ramifications of this.  The situations I've seen slightly
> > > favor an array versus four discretes so you can actually _SAVE_ money
> > > and have better decoupling.
> > > 5.  You can only use one value for the four elements in an array.
This