[SI-LIST] Re: Choosing extraction frequency for package RLGC

  • From: "Michael Khusid" <mkhusid@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fdunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 17:22:00 -0500

Frank,

You are right -- the RLGC data changes with frequency. When an extractor
produces an RLGC matrix, it will do it at a certain frequency.

Hspice manual is also right -- if you assume Resistance to be constant over
the broad range of frequencies, and then pick a resistance value at a very
high frequency, you will greatly overestimate the loss at low frequencies.

So, the answer to your first question is "it depends". In principle, an
approximation of resistance constant with frequency is a poor approximation
if resistance matters. I cannot recommend any rule of thumb for frequency
selection because it primarily depends on the problem you are solving and
whether the constant R(f) assumption is valid.

I'll take another prospective for your second question. If your timing
budget is tight, then you may need to accurately simulate frequency
dependence of the package parasitics. That frees you from the assumption of
a single frequency of extraction. The frequency-dependant models may not be
as simple as RLGC models, but they typically run well in Spice.

Mike

Michael Khusid
Ansoft Corporation
SI/HF Application Engineer