[SI-LIST] Re: Bypass Capacitor Selection

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Steve Weir" <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>, "David Anthony" <x2y@xxxxxxx>,jmartinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 15:22:16 -0800

Steve,

I agree with all of the reasoning on how much lower the inductance gets
with each option.  What counts is the overall effect on impedance vs.
frequency.  That's the final test.  When these tests are made, lowering the
inductance shifts the series resonant frequency higher, but by how much.
Again, the measured data shows not enough to warrant the extra cost.

Lee

<jmartinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 1/2/2004 2:57:33 PM
> Subject: Re: [SI-LIST] Re: Bypass Capacitor Selection
>
> Lee, I appreciate the problem.  First, I think that we can agree on
taking
> a graphical evaluation of the data.  Since we are inductance limited, the
> total mounted inductance of a given decoupling element will determine its
> high frequency effectiveness.
>
> By using multiple vias with a single cap, generally total impedance
results
> are better than using the same area to put in more capacitors.  With
three
> vias per pad, for each:  the A, B, and G1/G2 pads inductances as low as
> 300pH can be met for a single cap for the mounting structure.
>
> Now, if we use a typical 0603 with 800-1000pH, the best that we can get
is
> 1100 - 1300pH.  With a reverse geometry capacitor we can get down to
about
> 700pH which is better, but probably not worth the trouble.  But if we use
> an X2Y that exhibits on the order of 100 pH, we drop down to about 400pH
> mounted.  Now, our multiple vias really pay-off, as we are at about 1/3
the
> mounted inductance of a traditional geometry capacitor.  For a given
> impedance target, we can use 1/3 the number of X2Y's as traditional caps,
> and a whole lot fewer total vias.
>
> Steve.
>
> At 02:44 PM 1/2/2004 -0800, Lee Ritchey wrote:
> >Steve,
> >
> >As i mentioned, we measured all sorts of land patterns and their effect
on
> >the impedance vs. frequency that one sees on a PCB power supply.  Figure
> >34.10 shows this with an array capacitor, 2 each 0603 capacitors with for
> >vias and an 0612 with twelve vias.
> >
> > >From this data, it can be seen that the array capacitor is only
marginally
> >better than a pair of 0603 capacitors at a much higher overall cost.
> >
> >To get real value from these very low inductance capacitors it is
necessary
> >to make a significant reduction in mounting inductance.  That can happen
on
> >very thin substrates, such as BGA packages.
> >
> >The rest of the time, sticking with standard components is a good
> >compromise between performance and cost.
> >
> >I'm sure this news will not be appreciated by those making the array
style
> >capacitors, but that's how the measurements work out , but that's why we
> >made all of the measurements.  We needed to know just what we were going
> >get from the various types of parts.
> >
> >Lee

IDC cap
> >part