[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: wda show

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 17:12:46 -0800

Kathy Tank wrote:

YES
One could breed a GV to a GVX or a Sieger to a Siegerin and still come out
saying "How in the H*** did this happen???"   "Where did THIS come from?"
All anyone can do is study pedigrees, study breed type and characteristics,
decide what you need to improve and what is an absolute deal breaker.
Sometimes you get a star, sometimes you get YUCKO.
Learn and don't get bogged down too much. Be BRUTALLY honest in your
assessment of your stock.  Don't beat yourself up over problems, because
they WILL happen eventually to all of us.... and don't think you are so
fabulous if you get that star.
Afterall, only God / Mother Nature control actual zillions of  gene
pairings.  The best we can do is breed with improvement in mind and hope for
the best.
But then I am preaching to the choir, I realize, lol.
Kathy

Trust me -- I did.  Due to our problems getting her pregnant, we bred GVx
Lilly to a very nice Ch. dog who finished in 5 shows (2 5pt majors from huge
topline shows), he also was from a 2 champion litter with a very nice
pedigree (GV sired x AOE Sel ROM bitch) -- On paper it looked great.
Comparison theory of breeding -- comparing dog to dog -- looked good too.
Did all my homework (or at least I thought), but I forgot about this dog's
sisters and his grandparents... :(  As puppies they looked much like I
expected -- At 4 months they were gorgeous -- then they started growing, I
couldn't look at them again until they were 15 months old.  We finished one
-- the rest -- no so much -- they didn't look like anything we had ever had
all the years prior to their birth.  LOL  Not "blaming" just pointing out
that in my "planning" and level of breeding knowledge at that time, I forgot
an important thing -- you don't always get what the dog is himself, you
sometimes get his littermates or his grandparents, or your bitch's
littermates or her grandparents.  As much as anyone may plan, everyone of us
roll the dice and then you just have to hope it all works out and when it
does, you're brilliant -- when it doesn't, you start over.. I think it's the
D.G.'s way of keeping folks humble.  LOL

As far as people incorporating European dogs into their blood -- there's
been some very successful and lucky folks besides the names you listed,
there's Dan & Marilyn Smith, Terry Cochran & Ruth Schuebler -- getting
champions and ROM's out of products of European/American crosses, and others
I'm not entirely aware of. But here again, I think it's a gamble that you
have to have the guts and the patience to understand it may not work in the
first generation.  If you get Champions or higher ratings from animals in
the first generation, while it's possible, I think it's less likely.
Luckily, dog generations are not so long that most breeders can't move into
the 2nd or even 3rd generation in less than 5 years.  This is why when
there's a change of the powerbase at the WUSV/SV and a new president takes
over the job of judging the Seiger Show, within 3-5 years their "stamp" and
interpretation of the breed is evident.

Kathaleen