[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: was ADVERTISING PC WEBSITE, question, Breeder's Code

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dan-ann@xxxxxxxx>, <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 11:49:17 -0700

Jamie worked very hard on the Breeders Code.......and she was disappointed and
discouraged
when no action was taken.........we all were...... but there is always
questions to consider and no
one has the answers.
The problem is that it is pointless to have one that no one will sign .......or
cannot be enforced when
someone abuses it.......or have some sign it but not abide by it just so they
can advertise or become
a member of a Club for appearance of respectability.
The Board, or the Club, or the Chair policing it is the problem.     Just think
about it.......how can we?

I believe some of the ideas suggested a huge puppy mill could sign..... and
still function as a huge
puppy mill.     It does not change the quality or health of the pets or show
dogs placed nor the huge
volume of dogs kept,   nor the quality of the Breeder / seller nor their
honesty and love and care of
the dogs  if you really look at it.  It is a peice  of paper.......only as good
as the Breeders word and
integrity.

SO........you have all your pet puppies spayed and neutered within a certain
age,  ( I personally do not
want our pet buyers to spay or neuter early .....)  and you only breed your
bitch every 3rd season,  and
buyers have a puppy examined by a Vet within 72 hrs.... but your sales contract
could be useless when
a real problem arises for the buyer or the pup anyway......or the breeder may
be one who does not care
or co-operate after that time frame.    (..what happens a week or months later
if the puppy has problems  )
Already  many are already going to another source besides OFA,
etc......AND.... you could still breed a
bitch in hideous health or quality or temperament as long as there were 2
seasons in between?
And who decides what is a "quality"  breeding is .....or is a genetic issue to
disqualify any dog as a quality
animal for breeding....or keeps tabs on how often a bitch is bred.....or
decides if the dog has had enough
socialization and exposure as compared to sitting  in a kennel too much.
The Board?       Jamie?
My point is......If it is not enforcable.... how can it be used  just to
advertise.    There are other forms of
advertisement that do not require it anyway......and again.....how do we as a
Board police it if we do
pass it?     Reasonable Suggestions appreciated......?

Bottom line.........it will not make a good honest concerned caring Breeder
better.....and not signing will
not make them not.    It just puts a lot of responsiblity on those of us who
would have to enforce it.
As one person suggested.......I like the idea of a Code of Ethics before
someone joins the Club to begin with.

I know we need something......but I have no answers in a law suit world......to
those that do .......lets hear it.

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

From: Sally Hayden To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx ; showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent:
Friday, May 15, 2009 10:06 AM
  Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: was ADVERTISING PC WEBSITE, question, Breeder's
Code

  What bothers me  about this discussion is that we have been thru this
multiple times.  Jamie wanted to
  tighten up the loop wholes and put some strength in it and at the time it
kept getting rejected.    As I
  remember Jamie worked very hard on this for a long time and took a lot of
suggestions from the
  membership only to have it rejected by the board.

  So unless the board is willing to back a change it is going no where

  Sally
  www.embroiderybysally.org