[ SHOWGSD-L ] reason for lower entries

  • From: Linda Bankhead <lindabankhead44@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 11:06:23 -0400

Christine
I don't disagree with your post; but I was giving my two cents on why OUR
conformation breed entries are declining 40% FASTER than other breeds.

Well known All Breed handlers and breeders sell mediocre dogs to uneducated
buyers ( and have for a hundred years!)  whether a Cocker Spaniel or
Bloodhound; this practice is not exclusive to GSD's.

On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Hickoryhill
<hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

To Linda's post I would like to add that many have been "cheated" in the
past and currently when purchasing a dog to show. Often folks purchase a
"show" puppy and are promised that the puppy will finish, go select etc.
Being novices they buy into the sales pitch. If the dog does not
materialize, instead of being told by the breeder/handler that the dog
isn't worthy, the handler continues to show the dog to add more money to
his/her bank account. After multiple losses and quite a bit of money spent,
the breeder/handler finally tells the owners that the dog isn't good
enough, and they need a replacement at an "additional cost," even though
the original purchase was for a "show" puppy.  Many handlers will continue
to show a mediocre animal to simply put money in their pockets. It is up to
YOU as the owner of a dog to educate yourself about the breed and to KNOW
when a dog lacks the merit for the breed ring. You cannot leave it up to a
handler to evaluate your dog! Whenever someone stands to profit from an
animal being shown, it is highly likely that their assessment of the dog is
directly proportionate to the amount of money they can make off of the
animal! If you have any brains at all, it doesn't take long to figure out
you're being ripped off, so why continue in an endeavor that is so seedy?
Eventually people leave this breed, ( but not necessarily the sport of dog
showing) either for another breed to show in conformation or they choose
performance. When I first started in dogs, I purchased a couple of "show"
puppies from "reputable" breeders none of which turned out. Didn't take
long to figure out that I would have better luck breeding my own to show
and learning how to evaluate my own animals! Christine