[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: reason for lower entries

  • From: Hickoryhill <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lindabankhead44@xxxxxxxxx" <lindabankhead44@xxxxxxxxx>, Cheryl Olson <tindrock1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 07:52:34 -0700 (PDT)

To Linda's post I would like to add that many have been "cheated" in the past
and currently when purchasing a dog to show. Often folks purchase a "show"
puppy and are promised that the puppy will finish, go select etc. Being novices
they buy into the sales pitch. If the dog does not materialize, instead of
being told by the breeder/handler that the dog isn't worthy, the handler
continues to show the dog to add more money to his/her bank account. After
multiple losses and quite a bit of money spent, the breeder/handler finally
tells the owners that the dog isn't good enough, and they need a replacement at
an "additional cost," even though the original purchase was for a "show" puppy.
 Many handlers will continue to show a mediocre animal to simply put money in
their pockets. It is up to YOU as the owner of a dog to educate yourself about
the breed and to KNOW when a dog lacks the merit for the breed ring. You cannot
leave it up to a handler to evaluate
 your dog! Whenever someone stands to profit from an animal being shown, it is
highly likely that their assessment of the dog is directly proportionate to the
amount of money they can make off of the animal! If you have any brains at all,
it doesn't take long to figure out you're being ripped off, so why continue in
an endeavor that is so seedy? Eventually people leave this breed, ( but not
necessarily the sport of dog showing) either for another breed to show in
conformation or they choose performance. When I first started in dogs, I
purchased a couple of "show" puppies from "reputable" breeders none of which
turned out. Didn't take long to figure out that I would have better luck
breeding my own to show and learning how to evaluate my own animals! Christine