[ SHOWGSD-L ] reason for lower entries

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 10:34:48 -0400 (EDT)

Let me respond to Linda, as she brings up some great points. I  don't agree
with them all, but certainly they are valid.

Evan L.  Ginsburg
gsyrfund.com
Asgard German  Shepherds
_http://www.asgardgsd.com_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
Where Type  Movement and Temperament come  together

In a message dated 9/21/13 6:33:25 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
lindabankhead44@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Conformation Entries have been steadily dropping AT ALL SHOWS for  many many
years.  The lowering conformation entry EVERY YEAR at our  National
(REGARDLESS of location) is also a fact.
My opinion below  relates more to specialty rings:

- We are the only breed  where it is desirable for our dogs to pull and
charge out at  the end of a 6 to 10 ft lead.  An owner handler will not  be
successful for this reason.

It is true that handlers are necessary. It is not true that the judges
always want a dog charging at the end of the lead. But, even shown the proper
way, the way Linda handles a dog, or the way I want to see them, requires a
handler who can run a ring, and keep up with an animal that covers a
tremendous  amount of ground. As an old burned out handler, I can tell you the
mind and  heart are there, but the body seems to refuse to do what I ask of it.
So,  handlers are necessary.

- Our dogs are not attractive to some in  the general public.  They
prefer the German style, less  rear angulation and frankly the people
breeding the working  dogs have done a very good job of trashing our
temperament and  "part frog" animals.  This has diminished our pet market
and ability to find pet homes. We find homes, but those who breed  working
lines are getting significant money for those puppies  vs American
breeding's.

I agree that the German style breeders have tried to promote their dogs,
and bad mouth the American style. But, we have a litter at home today, Dave
is  there to select his half, and we have people waiting for any dogs we will
 sell. The market is strong for any breeder who has been honest, stood
behind the  dogs they sold, shown a quality breeding program, and been sincere
in standing  behind the promises they made. We have one buyer who just sent
us a post saying  they waited three years to get an Asgard dog, and are so
excited that we are  letting them have one of the puppies.

- Many of our  handlers and  conditioning/ trainers in our sport are
showing and promoting  their own dogs against clients dogs. This causes a
conflict of  interest; you are competing against the person you are paying
and you also pay their expenses to haul their own  interest.

That is the fault of the owners. We have never allowed that to happen. I
know if it common in the East, but on the West Coast, the owners dictate who
shows our dogs, and when the handlers try to take advantage, we changed
handlers.  I never did understand why the East allowed this, but it is up  to
the owners/breeder to deal with it.

- Many breeders/handlers have been and  continue to promote their own
lines. That near sighted  attitude has cost us dearly; we have bred
ourselves into a  bubble.

I have noticed this. It has always been so, but we have to fight against
it. I know that certain dogs have bred everything that is winning today. But,
it  is up to the breeder to decide where to breed, and how to breed.  If
you  breed to a fad, you are perpetuating the problem. It comes and goes, and
is self  resolving.  If we keep losing dogs young, they will not reproduce.
I lament  and admire the Grand Victor last year. What a fantastic dog. What
structure,  style, beauty, and temperament.  But, he is not going to cause
harm to the  breed by being over-used, and is a solution to the "bubble" and
as it turns out,  may have done a great deal of good to our future.

- As our genetic pool becomes smaller,  health issues arise and people
walk away when their bloodline  is filled with bloat, torsion, missing
teeth, etc. We have had  some wonderful people walk away from conformation
because  their entire line became lethal and the heartache was  unbearable.
- As we continue to stay within our own "camp" the  circle keeps getting
smaller.  Think about almost every  handler and known breeder. They promote
certain bloodlines and  have a circle of people around them who follow the
same path.  These are also are judges and they put up the same style of
dogs.

It is not a problem of people walking away. That happens with any hobby. It
 is a problem of people not willing to listen and learn. Those who
understand  what is going on, can change it.  They can improve the breed. A
smaller
group of breeders is doing just that. It is a heat/kitchen thing. There is
nothing inherently wrong with a smaller dedicated group, doing the right
thing.  If it is not fun, if you are not enjoying it, then do something else.
There will  always be those willing to dedicate themselves to the breed and
the sport.

- Our local clubs (with few members in most cases)  vote for judges who
will like their dogs. Do we not keep  seeing the same judges and also some
trading of wins? It is  getting fairly predictable to know who is going to
show their  dog where.

The trading wins thing seem sort of "sour grapes" to me. We pick a judge
who will do a good job, so as to get a better entry.  Next weekend we have
two judges who do not show or breed dogs.   This trading of shows is
popular, but the judges I talk to would have none of it. There may be a few,
but
the majority do what they think is right. Now, some people know what to take
to  a judge, and therefore win under that judge.  I will tell you, as a
judge,  I only can judge what is in the ring if front of me. If it is a dog
owned by  someone I like or hate, I am going to do what I feel is the best
thing
I can do.  The owner or the breeder never comes into the mix.

- Our conformation ring is now a very controlled  small pool of breeders,
handlers, and judges.  We have  become self promoting and partial to camps.
The smaller we  become the more blatant we have become.  Some judges  don't
blink twice and put up the right  owner/breeder/handler.  Heck there are
only 20 people at  ringside who raise an eyebrow; but heck ..... that dog
who won  does go back to their bloodline.

I recently judged and when it was over, found I put up mostly one breeder.
Then I learned that a dog I overlooked for Breed was from my bloodlines.
Judges can only put up what is brought to them.  I know one breeder who
won't show under me because she says I only put up someone else's breeding.
That  is a self fulfilling prophesy.   Take to the judge dogs that judge
favors, and then see if you are right. Don't blame the judge for putting up the

best dogs, and leave your dogs at home.

I know this is a lot of stuff for me to write. But it is a Saturday, my
client is late, and I need a break from the law.  I believe we are going to
become smaller. That does not at all mean we are less, or any other negative
adjective.  This sport, dogs, started out small and grew.  The natural
nature of growth is at some point it has to go the other way. It is up to us to
 determine the future of our breed. People like Linda who take the time to
point  out the problems, and warn of the consequences do us a great service.

Now, it is up to the rest of us to find the solution.