[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: it's a dog show - not a horse race....

  • From: "Kay Reamensnyder" <bedkar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Laurie Pruett" <pruett@xxxxxxxxx>, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 14:38:20 -0800

I agree....we are on the same page.

The problem (today) is not just in German Shepherds.
Years ago, well to-do individuals had huge kennels and breeding programs.
They had the money, time and resources to develop breeds that were currently
being newly recognized by AKC.  In fact, they were responsible for bring
breeds
into this country and getting them recognized.

Eventually, people realized that this was a sport that many could
participate in,
especially families.......and smaller kennels appeared, deriving their
breeding and
showing stock from established kennels.......and exhibiting/breeding became
feasible for
everyone.

More recently, this sport has attracted "big money"........."established"
very visible
handlers are contracted to exhibit dogs and manage kennels.  Thousands of
dollars
are poured into advertising.....thousands more to travel the country and
show in any
venue they please.   Can the average person compete with this.....NO.
Does this create an unfair advantage........you bet it does!
Do some very good dogs get ignored....I firmly believe so!
Is it good for the Breed.........I doubt it.

Please accept the fact that judges are just as human as everyone
some will judge from knowledge and some will judge by persuasion.....
it's not always fair.......but then nothing is.....
Believe in what you are trying to accomplish and stick to it, regardless.

---Kay Reamensnyder and Betty Doerpinghaus
---bedkar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
---VISIT OUR WEBSITE:http://home.earthlink.net/~bedkar

<pruett@xxxxxxxxx>; <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>