[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: interesting

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:30:21 -0600

Quite a few of the working, hounds and some sporting breeds appear to be
down at the whither..long in the loin and straight in the front along with
straight pasterns. As I am writing this..I am looking in the AKC standard
book. this may be correct for the breed..but not correct for ours..but
again there are many more like the aforementioned..not many , if any like
the GSD. As for terriers..if they are not straight in front..then how can
you use the word "straight" to describe their fronts..ie "straight upper
arm" Let's use the Fox terrier for example. A straight line drawn from the
ground will show the shoulder to be nearly under the base of the dogs neck.
the whole front assembly is pushed forward in comparison to what a GSD
should have and the pasterns are stick straight also.There is no prosternum
to speak of. Backs are hard and short..but croups are flatter and tails set
high.There is no turn of stifle to speak of..thus the rear in my eyes is
straight in comparison to a GSD. Afghans and Cockers probably have closer
rear angulation to the GSD, but it is masked by coat.. However, the same
can be said for the GSD ..if you have a kennel full of soft backs, straight
shoulders, flat croups, and poor temperaments that you make excuses for,
etc..then often this is what you get used to seeing  and in time many will
believe this is correct, exhibitors and judges alike.People in positions to
influence can use that power to make a positive impact and educate those
judges who don't know. Instead they often show mediocrity and the premise
of the sport becomes "let's see how many I can finish..just because of who
I am and who I can manipulate".How refreshing it would be if the premise of
the sport became "this breed has been good to me..if not for it, I would be
no one..let see if I can leave a legacy to better the breed.."  I think I
will put the later on my "Grown up Christmas List.." Christine