[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: interesting

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:40:40 -0500

That is another problem not limited to judging Shepherds.  People who
come from square breeds, like Old English, have to train their eye to
not unconsciously penalize long dogs, like Pembroke Welsh Corgis, and
vice versa.
    As for a terrier person accepting straight fronts and/or rears, I
have to say that you should have said "comparative," because straight
fronts and rears are wrong in terriers, too.  Of course you were
speaking "generally," but terriers don't have straight fronts...they
have shorter, straighter upper arms...and so do many German Shepherds,
which is why they lift so.  Tom Castiota and I had a discussion about
that nearly 20 years ago...and about 5 years ago he brought it up to me
again, and he said "you know something, you were right about those
terrier fronts on German Shepherds.  Look at that dog....."  and we were
at a specialty at the time.
    Soft backs are a fault in any breed...but I know what Christine
means about Mastiffs...they appear soft because that's a "wet" breed...
    As for a successful Shepherd breeder finding good ones in other
breeds, that's no more true than for any other breed, sorry.  The real
problem is that many of our judges never bred anything good...they just
handed dogs over to handlers who made champions for them.  Sound
familiar?  There are also people in many breeds, including Shepherds,
who had successful breeding programs for years, who did not depend on
handlers to tell them which dogs to keep and which ones to get rid
of...those people aren't stupid just because they bred
Dachshunds.........they are just like some of you out there...they don't
give a damn about other breeds.
Many of them do not attempt to judge Shepherds, either.
    There are entirely too many generalities posted here that are done
so as if people were speaking with a direct line to the Almighty.
Everything that can be said about German Shepherd judging can be said in
any breed...and there are as many crooked judges in this breed as there
are in any breed.

This is the only breed I judge in which breeders, handlers, and breeder
judges have tried to "fix" shows.  And I judge a good number of
breeds...not as many as Helen, but a good number...and I'll stick by
that statement.
    Peggy