[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: dog laws

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>, <ALL4MORIAH@xxxxxxx>, <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 19:33:22 -0500

And the legislators don't see us as able to offer a solution, for the most
part, since, thanks to the ARista's heavy lobbying and promoting MSN, BSL,
etc. (see Stormy's words below), they see US as no different from the
puppymills that we see on TV and read about in the newspapers and here on
the internet.
   Plus, it seems that the majority of dog show breeders really don't
believe that they will be bothered by these laws, either.  An awful lot of
people who should know better seem to think "well, it will get rid of the
puppymills."  Not everyone has a good-working brain, you know.  Until we
have people who are obsessed as the AR groups, and who are able to draft
legislation and pop it under the noses of the legislators, followed by a
warm plate of cookies and a big fat check, we are a long, long way from
being able to influence law making very much.   They are pro-active...as
Stormy said...WE are RE-active.  We don't do anything until we
see ourselves as threatened.   And in the meantime, people keep breeding,
and breeding, and breeding...we've read right here on this list about known
breeders who won't take back dogs that wind up in rescue, or in otherwise
bad situations...they have no room because they have some new dogs they're
running on.  Those days have to be over........(and not just GSD people,
don't think I'm pointing fingers at OUR gang)...but as long as there are
more dogs coming up in rescue, or in shelters or puppymills, than we have at
dog shows, there is no excuse for continuing to breed, especially risky
breedings that are one on the off chance that there might be a star in the
litter.
        We are not too far from a day when we might have to look at every
litter, pick the ones of the right sex (that is, the sex we bred for) and
put the other puppies down.  Then, keep the "right sex" ones until they are
old enough to know which one is going to be the show star, and put the rest
down.  How does that sound?
       Of course, if laws like Pennsylvania's no docking proposal ever get
passed, or the Oklahoma one that says you can't sell anything that isn't
neutered, and can't bring an un-neutered dog into the state either, well,
there won't be dog shows anywhere anyway.

   A couple of years ago there was a little tale circulating on the internet
about the last dog............I wish I could find it.  We are getting closer
to that every day.
Peggy