[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: dog laws

  • From: "Stormy V. Hope" <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 20:47:16 -0800

I agree absolutely on damages.  My concern is the emotional component.  I
believe in a case in FL, the owners were granted an extraordinarily large
amount in emotional 'damages,"  (too late tonight to look it up), and with some
of the outstanding amounts that are awarded from jury trials today, I think it
is of great concern.
I was not talking about going after vets (or doctors) for malpractice, I was
talking about what would end up costing the pet owners in vet fees if emotional
damages became common place and vets malpractice insurance were to go sky high
to protect them and the insurance companies.

Talking about the value of the animal is apples, emotional damages are oranges.

Stormy

On Mar 3, 2013, at 7:39 PM, ELG440@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 3/3/2013 5:54:03 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
> stormy435@xxxxxxxxx writes:
> Evan, do you really think that giving more than $$ value for the dog is a
> good thing?  Aren't we a bit concerned about the dog not being 'property'
> with that decision?  What happens to the malpractice insurance that vets have
> a to pay now as a result… or dog handlers or boarding facilities.  What
> happens to our house insurance when the neighbors' dog and ours get into a
> scuffle and the neighbors' dog get the worst of it.
>
> In the case someone beat the neighbor's dog with a bat.  It cost $60,000 in
> vet bills to save the dog. The neighbor claimed the dog was not worth more
> than $1,000.00 that they paid for the puppy.  The court said the damages were
> directly related to the harm done, and the Supreme Court upheld the award.
>
> I remember when a vet let a Grand Victor get out and killed by a truck. We
> got more than the value of a dog.  We were able to talk about stud fees, etc.
>  Vet's only pay for malpractice damages if they commit malpractice.
>
> I agree that people should be responsible for damages they cause.
>
> Evan L. Ginsburg
> Asgard German Shepherds
> http://www.asgardgsd.com/
> Where Type Movement and Temperament come  together

Stormy V. Hope