[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: "Working Class". Dogs and people.

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <marcatoshepherds@xxxxxxxxx>, "Showgsd" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 22:21:23 -0800

Hi Jackie;
< 1 >  While it is not all that matters....the gait of the GSD is a big part
of  the Breed Standard.
Personally I love that part too.....
The Breed Standard IS the ruler by which we measure the Breed.   We can all be
proud of all the
'work'  this Breed is utilized for.   Like many...we have had several dogs
utiilized as Guide Dogs,
Search & Rescue dogs and now Service dogs and Therapy dogs.   Just no one
bothers to advertise
that side of their breeding program as usually conformation IS our chosen
venue.
None of us do everything the same.
< 2 >
Possibly those of us that do herd consider watching a GSD style of herding to
be "premier"
I  would rather watch a GSD herd sheep any day....as compared to a Border
Collie.  The
"PEOPLE"  issue of no doint no real.intense SchH  training does not mean the
dogs don't have
it....it's just that WE don't!!   But many with intense working dogs could care
less how they
 gait.......or if they win Championship Titles either.    Who's right or wrong?
  Training a top working
dog can be done with many Breeds....and even mix breeds.....not the case with
GSD Champions.
< 3 >
Did you have to go the Czech / West German dogs and people to find those that
do both?
Possibly because it is  "Mandatory".....many send their dogs out to be
trained??
Sorry you are tired of hearing about the money and time...but alas both are an
issue with
many of us as well as family obligations.
Possibly the same can be said for those with top working dogs not bringing them
to compete
at our Nationals and shows and Futurities with those dogs?
< 4 >
Actually yhere are quite a few that have chosen to do both and are successful
in their endeavors
of putting Titles on many Champions and more than a couple of Grand Victors and
Grand Victrixes
and  Select dogs.   Quite a few of these top Champions have the working titles
you mentioned.
AND it is not mandatory!!    Hope we soon see that many Championships on the
top working dogs!
It seems more rare indeed than the other way around.
The point is.......it should always remain a choice!!    This is a sport....a
pasttime...a passion...not
a thick rule book........

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com