[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Whelping areas

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: Daphne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, farmdogforever@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 10:45:01 -0400

I do the same, wooden box, mine is 4 x 5, PVC pig rails. I have no bottom
on mine and the weight of the box keep bedding taught. Yes to a heat
source (and room kept at 70 something first week) but from underneath, heating
pad made specifically for dogs, 98 on one side, 85 on the other, heat
overhead can dehydrate.

Hate the idea of pools. If mom lays to one side can/will tip but if you
insist, pool noodles can be rigged as a pig rail.

Yes to video monitors.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 8/9/2015 8:38:31 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Daphne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

The person I was previously mentoring insisted on using the small swimming
pools and as a result we did lose a couple of puppies since they could not
escape the mom lying down.
Personally I prefer the 4x4 wooden whelping box with the interior adjusted
at the bottom with pvc pipe so the small puppy could escape the mom laying
down.
I never painted my whelping boxes, just cleaned them very well with
bleach, which ultimately help lead to the ruination of my lungs, but that is
another story.
An additional aspect of safety that I implemented about 15-years ago was
24/7 Live Streaming video of the litter posted online so no matter where you
are you can check to make sure mom and pups are doing ok. In fact on our
last litter I called the lady I was mentoring and told her she had a dead
puppy in the pool. She immediately left work and attended to it.
Daphne Hereford
AKC Breeder of Merit
RIN TIN TIN Line Dogs
_www.HollywoodDogs.com_ (http://www.hollywooddogs.com/)