[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Whelping areas

  • From: "Daphne Hereford" <Daphne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <farmdogforever@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 07:38:17 -0500

The person I was previously mentoring insisted on using the small swimming
pools and as a result we did lose a couple of puppies since they could not
escape the mom lying down.

Personally I prefer the 4x4 wooden whelping box with the interior adjusted at
the bottom with pvc pipe so the small puppy could escape the mom laying down.

I never painted my whelping boxes, just cleaned them very well with bleach,
which ultimately help lead to the ruination of my lungs, but that is another
story.

An additional aspect of safety that I implemented about 15-years ago was 24/7
Live Streaming video of the litter posted online so no matter where you are you
can check to make sure mom and pups are doing ok. In fact on our last litter I
called the lady I was mentoring and told her she had a dead puppy in the pool.
She immediately left work and attended to it.

Daphne Hereford

AKC Breeder of Merit

RIN TIN TIN Line Dogs

<http://www.hollywooddogs.com/> www.HollywoodDogs.com